Welcome!

Welcome to "Showers of Blessings" which is a blog for writers and their readers! It is my prayer you will find many blessings in these humble words as you open your heart to hear about my best friend, Jesus Christ. He has called me to write for Him and though I remain stunned by this, wondering how He could use someone like me in this competitive industry, I know He has equipped me to do the job or He would never have opened all the doors He has to a career in writing. He gets all the glory for such an awesome plan, believe me!

Below each post there is an indication of the number of comments for that post. If you click on that it will bring up the comments for you to read and allow you to leave a comment for me if you would like to do so. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and thank you for taking the time to step with me into the showers of blessings He shares with all of us through His Word!


Sunday, July 22, 2012

Wolves and Writing

The other day I read a Cherokee Proverb and it spoke strongly to my heart about my writing. Perhaps because right now my focus has been on writing about various Native Americans. But I choose to believe it’s because I also focus on knowing God’s Word and the philosophy behind it comes straight out of the Scriptures.

According to the Proverb, there is a battle between two wolves inside all of us. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, lies, inferiority, and ego. [My words here: This sounds familiar, doesn’t it?]

The other is good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy, and truth. [Hmm, seems I’ve heard this somewhere before, too!]

The wolf that wins? The one you feed.

Today, are you feeding the evil wolf inside you? Are you allowing God’s Spirit to be squelched when you express your human nature and its basest elements? What about your writing? Is it uplifting and helpful to others? Or does it tear down and destroy with its selfishness and sarcasm?

Or are you feeding the good wolf in your heart by allowing the Holy Spirit to speak through the words you write to bring healing and comfort to others? Even with fiction you can do this. But are you? Before you speak or write, do you ask yourself if it will help another or possibly cause hurt or shame? Do you ask God to bless those words to His purposes?

My writing is inextricably linked with my faith because everything in my psyche is steeped in it. I cannot separate the two, though at times I write more for the secular market than for the Christian one. But my goal is always to bring inspiration and hope. I sincerely desire for the good wolf inside my heart to win the battle and hope my readers can sense that at all times.

This week as you write, find the good wolf and help him come out. Don’t allow a prolonged battle to rage for it will diminish the power of your words. What you feed on, is what you are—a rough paraphrase of Jesus’ words to His disciples. Seek the positive and it will show up in what you write, and you will experience showers of blessings because you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment