Welcome!

Welcome to "Showers of Blessings" which is a blog for writers and their readers! It is my prayer you will find many blessings in these humble words as you open your heart to hear about my best friend, Jesus Christ. He has called me to write for Him and though I remain stunned by this, wondering how He could use someone like me in this competitive industry, I know He has equipped me to do the job or He would never have opened all the doors He has to a career in writing. He gets all the glory for such an awesome plan, believe me!

Below each post there is an indication of the number of comments for that post. If you click on that it will bring up the comments for you to read and allow you to leave a comment for me if you would like to do so. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and thank you for taking the time to step with me into the showers of blessings He shares with all of us through His Word!


Monday, July 9, 2012

Trust Versus Creativity

Much of my strength and wisdom in life has come from God’s Word. Why should my writing be any different? When discouragement threatens to rob me of creativity, when distraction attempts to block out my focus, when life gets in the way of life, nothing picks me up like searching Scripture for a sense of direction or confirmation.

One verse from The Message sums it all up. Matthew 6:34 says, “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.”

The Lord has a plan for my life that is for good and not for evil, intended to give me purpose and meaning and hope for the future (this is my own paraphrase of another verse!). Trouble is, my enemy also has a plan for my life. It is counterfeit, though, designed to get me off track and therefore too busy or exhausted to fulfill the one intricately woven by my Creator. Fretting over whether or not I will have the ability to complete a story God has put on my heart, or spending time wondering how I ever believed He had called me to write for Him means I am not walking in obedience to this verse. What my Savior has called me to do, He will equip me sufficiently for doing. Plain and simple truth. So do I believe it? Of course!

When taking numerous plot threads and weaving them together into a cohesive whole, as the author I need to know where I am going, right? Maybe. We’d all like to see the next step in our writing—or in life. But then it would not be trust. If we can see ahead, there is no miracle involved as it plays out. My writing style is such that I like to lay out my ideas at the beginning in intricate detail, leaving nothing to chance so I don’t box myself into a corner from which I cannot emerge without dismantling at least part of the story line. Sounds nice and neat, doesn’t it? Let me tell you, it doesn’t always work out that way!

For years I’ve heard the advice that authors should allow their characters to tell their own story instead of imposing an external plot on them and forcing them to comply with its boundaries. It made sense but I didn’t understand how it was supposed to actually work. I mean, these people aren’t real, right? So how can they form the story line?

In writing my novel From Now Until Forever I discovered first hand the truth of this advice. Just as in life, I had to take a step of faith at the beginning, to start the writing process without fully knowing what came next. Word after word and paragraph after paragraph, slowly but surely God’s Spirit was unleashed in each person I had created, and before I realized it, these people took over and began to change the direction of the book. For instance, I had a minor character who was slated to appear only in the opening scene but who very soon became a major one. The whole story became richer and deeper as he spilled out the details of his evil life. This didn’t excuse his behavior or motivations, only explained them better than I was doing. Every time he threatened the heroine or plotted against her, the man became more believable—even as I shuddered while writing the words. Thankfully, my emotional, spiritual, and physical well being wasn’t being attacked! Or was it? Sometimes I couldn’t be certain, so I knew my readers would feel the same way, thus drawing them deeper into the life of at least this one character. And once he was unleashed to do his mayhem, everyone else spoke up as well, demanding equal time. God took care of the tomorrows with this book when I began listening to Him in the moment.

And He can do the same for you right now. How will He speak to you today? Share with me the wisdom He reveals from this simple verse. How exciting the future can be when He is in control!

3 comments:

  1. Good advice for writers. Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Elece. And thanks for reading the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great verse to apply not only to life but to our writing as well. I know I can certainly get overwhelmed when I think of all that I need to be doing or all that might happen. Definitely need to take it one step at a time and trust God for the rest!

    ReplyDelete