Welcome!

Welcome to "Showers of Blessings" which is a blog for writers and their readers! It is my prayer you will find many blessings in these humble words as you open your heart to hear about my best friend, Jesus Christ. He has called me to write for Him and though I remain stunned by this, wondering how He could use someone like me in this competitive industry, I know He has equipped me to do the job or He would never have opened all the doors He has to a career in writing. He gets all the glory for such an awesome plan, believe me!

Below each post there is an indication of the number of comments for that post. If you click on that it will bring up the comments for you to read and allow you to leave a comment for me if you would like to do so. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and thank you for taking the time to step with me into the showers of blessings He shares with all of us through His Word!


Monday, January 24, 2011

MAKING MEMORIES IN WRITING

Making memories, one step at a time! That is my motto for right now in my personal life. And should be ours as writers. God uses our incredible imaginations, invaluable knowledge of story techniques, and vast research skills to put together just the right story line that He desires to come out of our minds. All we have to do is be available.

When you sit down at your computer, begin a work session with prayer that God will inspire you, direct you, and use you to the best of your ability in those moments. Bind our enemy’s distractions, discouragements, and despair from attacking your heart and slowing your progress. Banish your pessimism and second guessing, listen for your characters’ voices to speak, and allow your creativity to flow. Ask Him to loose His Spirit to write through you, for it is His story in reality. Be faithful to your calling and He will be faithful to His promises!

While a set schedule and writing goals are important, don’t get so caught up in producing “so many words” that you miss the beauty of the prose you are creating. Have fun with it and let it charm you as you do when immersed in a book that has latched onto your mind and heart and won’t let go. Before you know it, you will discover the hidden treasures God had planned for you to find that day, and wonder why it was such a struggle to drag yourself to the desk that morning. Don’t get me wrong: it is hard work, no doubt. Anyone who tells you otherwise either is misguided or has never written anything more than a grocery list or text message! However, you are never alone in facing it and trudging through it and emerging victorious on the other side. And the memory of that will spur you on to other similar triumphs.

In the process of writing, God will reveal to you the themes He is working on in your own life, the battles raging within, and the conflicts you are enduring. And help you make sense of them as to how they impact your WIP. It is in your writing He can unleash them for healing, restoration, and new purpose. Nothing could be more amazing than watching this miracle unfold before your eyes, unless it is knowing someday when another in need reads your words, she can also find the same miracle for her own life.

My advice then? Just write! And let the Lord handle the results in His own time. Make those memories with Him and with your characters and for them. It will be worth it all!



4 comments:

  1. I admire you and your writing so much. You are an inspiration to me. I really want to capture what I have learned of my family history in a historical fiction type of writing, but can't seem to bet started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were interested in this!! We need to talk by e-mail further as I think I can give you some direction on getting started (the hardest part by far!). Thanks for your sweet words of encouragement. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - had my settings wrong & just saw this today (now corrected). You would be a great one to record that history, my sweet cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I L-O-V-E your idea about "letting the words charm me." I will have to remember that next time I'm stuck! The words we write do have their own power, dont' they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Angela. I'm sure not my sentiment but GOD'S b/c when I read this, I didn't remember saying it!! Had to go back & re-read what I'd written, good sign that God was speaking through me. But you are so right, words do have their own power. We are just the temporary custodians of them while God is the director. Hope you are doing your own "charming" with your writing!!

    ReplyDelete